The New Testament shows us that the early Church was an exciting, growing group of people who had been dramatically changed by the message of Jesus. God Himself testified to the reality of salvation in Christ through signs, wonders and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit as a part of the preaching of the Good News of Jesus.
Hebrews 2:1-4 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
There are several passages in the New Testament that mention the Gifts of the Spirit. On e of the best known passages is:
I Corinthians 12:7-11 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
This passage mentions 9 spiritual manifestation that God the Holy Spirit gives to each one (every believer) in a local church for “the profit of all” The manifestation of these gifts are meant to encourage believers in their individual relationship with God and the local church as a whole.
The 9 spiritual gifts as mentioned in I Corinthians 12:7-11
- Word of Wisdom: special guidance from the Holy Spirit
- Word of Knowledge: information revealed by God that must be sensitively shared to bring healing, blessing or deliverance.
- The Gift of Faith: faith far beyond our own to bring about a special answer to prayer.
- Gifts of Healing: gifts that bring various kinds of healing for various infirmities.
- The Working of Miracles: a gift that God can use to multiply food or resources, recreate damaged physical parts or raise the dead.
- Prophecy: usually a forth telling of what God is doing now, but can be a revealing of a future event.
- Discerning of Spirits: a gift that shows if a spiritual manifestation is of God or demonic.
- Different Kinds of Tongues: many tongues not learned by the speaker.
- Interpretation of Different Kinds of Tongues: this gift enables a message in tongues to be interpreted to the hearers of the message.